Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Racing Gear Vs. Street Gear

Is gear rated suitable for racing a benefit to the every day rider? In many cases one could assume that racing gear is built to be more durable and generally safer, but is it built to last? You have to imagine the punishment most gear must take during a race and many items may not last a full race let alone a season so is the gear designed to continue performing at the rated quality level in the long run?

This is a question I am sure many first time purchasers face, especially if they have a little extra money to throw around. Does one go for the super gear, used by professionals in a race situation, or do we settle for a product based on lifetime value and performance? What is your opinion on the subject?

I think we have to reach a balance between safety, price and durability when we buy our gear. Unfortunately unlike the racers we do not have huge amounts of money at our back or huge companies sponsoring us to make up for the price. Therefore we cannot afford to invest in something that will just go horrible after a while.

I would personally go for street gears. There are more options to choose from if you consider the price. Most people choosing racing gear usually end up favouring aesthetics over safety and durability. When choosing among street gears on the other hand, while you won't the flashy equipment, you will still be able to get something that looks nice and will last long while offering a good level of safety.

Hey thank you both for replying. I find it interesting that everyone agrees there should be a balance between quality and price. I would expect that racing level gear would focus more on quality than style because of the safety standards it would need to meet but I can see how style could begin to edge out safety. I know if I was hitting upwards of 150 mph I would want a helmet on that was rated higher for safety than making me look cool!

Quote Originally Posted by bwright201083 View Post
    Hey thank you both for replying. I find it interesting that everyone agrees there should be a balance between quality and price. I would expect that racing level gear would focus more on quality than style because of the safety standards it would need to meet but I can see how style could begin to edge out safety. I know if I was hitting upwards of 150 mph I would want a helmet on that was rated higher for safety than making me look cool!
    However, if you do have the money and can afford good quality racing level gear, then its all up to you if you want to get it or not. As long as you take good care of it, durability shouldn't be much of an issue.

Unless I am racing my bike, I just stick with the basics for everyday wear. My main issue is I don't have all the extra money to spend on the racing brands. I have contemplated this exact question many times before to be honest, but it just isn't in the budget. Like others have said, whether it is racing gear or the basic stuff, as long as you take care of it, it will last. Besides, if you are involved in an accident with either type of safety gear, you are supposed to replace it anyway. You just have to take into account how you drive the motorcycle to determine the level of protection you want/need.

Quote Originally Posted by LogiciaBil View Post
    Unless I am racing my bike, I just stick with the basics for everyday wear. My main issue is I don't have all the extra money to spend on the racing brands. I have contemplated this exact question many times before to be honest, but it just isn't in the budget. Like others have said, whether it is racing gear or the basic stuff, as long as you take care of it, it will last. Besides, if you are involved in an accident with either type of safety gear, you are supposed to replace it anyway. You just have to take into account how you drive the motorcycle to determine the level of protection you want/need.
    The problem is that some people tend to go for the cheaper (but still expensive) racing gear that offers limited protection, while for the same price or less, they could have bought basic gear, offering a much better protection.

For me, it would really be safety first. Incidence of motorcycle accidents have been increasing so I would not put my life at greater risk by using sub-par riding gears. I would not care spending a little expensive if I am spending for my life.

street gear for streets, race gear for tracks.
    anyway, you just fry yourself with racing gear in traffic in hot countries like Thailand.

I think that professionals may know more about the benefits of the gear they use. For the general public I think that it makes sense to focus on gear that we like. I would add that it may be advantageous to use gear that has been recommended and is likely to last long.