Join Today
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Sorry if I came off preachy also - reread my post and it was a bit heavy handed. Ultimately the decision is up to you but definitely if you have the cash do it. I know I'd be kicking myself for a long time if ABS could have prevented a serious injury and I didn't take it. Of course if you plan on taking every safety precaution in the book maybe ABS is overkill - do what works for you!

Firstly thank you OP for creating this Thread! and for all the other forum members, thank you for the great info! My friends will find the info very informative.
    Maybe even save a few of their lives. I really have overlooked the effects of ABS on ones' safety. It'll be quite valuable as to saving many peoples lives!

-Paul

You never know what is going to happen or not. You're going to be riding this bike for years, and when you think that way, 500$ isn't too big of an expense. Motorcycles are dangerous vehicles even if you are really experienced when it comes to riding them. There are many inexperienced and/or careless drivers around you who might get you into a rough position. I'm not saying it's something you will need every day, but a day that you need them might come. You should be feeling safe when you're riding your bike.

You can never go wrong with taking the extra time to make sure you're riding safe. If you don't have the money than you can pass on it. But if you do, I think it's a great investment.

I'd rather live having spent $500 than die because I didn't. Safety blanket or not, if it can save a life, it is well worth any amount of money.

I'm sure you could even haggle with the dealer to get $500 off the ABS model. I don't know enough to comment on whether or not I like the ABS or not. Need to do more research.

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    I think that the CBR500 is small enough that ABS really wouldn't do much. It is more of a safety blanket to make you feel better than anything else, and I don't really think it is worth the extra $500.

Does anyone out there have any stories about how ABS saved their butts on a similar sized or smaller bike?

I think the CBR500 is small enough so the ABS won't do much, this is from my experience. Hope this helps you!

Kendra size has nothing to do with it. ABS is to keep your wheels from locking up when you hit the brakes.

Even though the CBR500 is a much smaller bike than the average sportbikes out there, like the Yamaha R6 for example, ABS would still be a great advantage to have. You have to remember that motorcycles accelerate much quicker than cars do, and that's why you need the best braking system that you can afford. I highly recommend that you get the ABS braking system installed, instead of the regular OEM brake system.

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    I think that the CBR500 is small enough that ABS really wouldn't do much. It is more of a safety blanket to make you feel better than anything else, and I don't really think it is worth the extra $500.

Does anyone out there have any stories about how ABS saved their butts on a similar sized or smaller bike?
    Hi,

Just asking, but why do you think that 'smallness' would make any difference? And why do you think that a bike that weighs over 190kilos PLUS any weigh you'd like to guess for the rider and possible pillion passenger should be called small anyway? You could certainly lock up and lose control on a 500, or any other bike come to that. Depending on road conditions (especially when wet, slippery, loose, etc) the margin between applying exactly enough braking force and just too much (in a sudden drama situation) can sometimes be tough to judge with absolute certainty. It's really not about bike size. After all, you can lock up a wheel and come off a push-bike. Been there, done that.....

Sorry, I'm not trying to dump on you but, coming from an engineering background, I can't see any reason why not having your brakes lock up isn't a very worthwhile advantage on any vehicle, regardless of size. It doesn't mean you'll never fall off it just because you have ABS, but it's certainly worth considering, just like any safety feature. A front wheel lockup on a car or bike means you lose the ability to steer. Under ABS braking you can still steer. If you've ever spun a car on snow, ice, skid pan, etc you'll know why losing the ability to steer is such a bummer (been there done that too....)

It seems a bit like the argument for full face helmets. Fans of open face ones probably think that full faced ones are a waste of money - maybe even a bit "sissy". On the other hand, full faced fans like to relate scary stories of 'open face' riders who had their jaws ripped off in a crash. But the truth is that you just don't know what sort of drama may or may not be coming your way in the future. If you're too paranoid you wouldn't get on a bike at all... It's all about assessing and accepting whatever level of risk you're comfortable with. Good helmets definitely save some lives and so do ABS brakes, but no amount of statistics will tell you whether it's going to be yours or not one day.

When I started riding (over 50 years ago) I wore an open face helmet - or no helmet at all - and I never owned a bike with ABS until a few months ago. I came off several times with never a scratch on my jaw, or any other part of my head, or on a helmet. And I haven't broken a bone - yet... But that wouldn't lead me to go riding with no helmet or riding gear today. Was I just lucky in the past, or is was no head injury possibly statistically more likely anyway? Who knows. But I can afford a decent helmet these days (convertible from open to full face, so I still have the choice, depending on where I'm going and how fast) and it seems like a very good investment now. Would ABS have helped me in the past? Maybe, maybe not.

The bottom line probably is that the older (and/or more financially secure) you get the happier you are to pay for a bit of extra safety margin. The point is that helmets do a good job and so do ABS brakes, but you can't know in advance if you personally will ever need them, or when. I just bought a CBR500R and I considered the non ABS but, like others here, I felt that it only has to keep me upright once and the savings in cost in repairs to the bike and damage to me would be worth every cent and more. Coming off bloody well hurts, even on a push-bike...

Others will of course have other preferences for their cash, and fair enough too.

Cheers,

Chris