Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25

Thread: How often you change oil?

  1. #1

    How often you change oil?

    I change oil every 2months or 3000kilometers. Oil manual indicates that it is good up to 5000 kilometers but I donít go that far.

  2. #2
    I change oil every three months.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by pietastesgood View Post
    I change oil every three months.
    Do you also take into consideration how many miles it had run?

  4. #4
    I probably should, but I ride the bike pretty often and three months feels like a pretty round number for a tune up.

  5. #5
    3000 miles is the safest for your engine. I have a friend that went 12k, and her bike lasted fine, but I wouldn't trust it.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Park City
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Irwin View Post
    3000 miles is the safest for your engine. I have a friend that went 12k, and her bike lasted fine, but I wouldn't trust it.
    12k!!!!!!

    Don't ever let her do that again! It could and probably did damage her internals of her engine, and realistically could have injured her.

    For the rest of this forum, just follow your maintenance guide, break the engine in, switch to synthetics. Then change the oil every 1500 miles max!

    On a car the recommendation is to change your oil every 3000 miles! Motorcycles may look different but the engine in a motorcycle is more of a high performance race engine...if that makes sense...basically they work harder, faster, and generate more friction and heat than a car...they are manufactured to do just that efficiently as possible. Friction, and heat break oil down faster in a small engine that has an incredible compression ratio for its size.

    Bottom line....follow the maintenance manual. There are benefits to doing that through a dealership as well, mine gives me free tires for life because of it, and 75% off track day events, as long as I bring my bike to them to follow Honda's recommended maintenance schedule.

    Respectfully,
    Shadow

  7. #7
    I change mine every two to three months, regardless of how many miles I have accumulated. I find it safer than waiting for a specific milestone since I tend to forget those.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Memento_Mori View Post
    I change mine every two to three months, regardless of how many miles I have accumulated. I find it safer than waiting for a specific milestone since I tend to forget those.
    If you don’t travel more that 1500 miles within three months then I guess that is pretty safe. I prefer to base it on specific odometer. There are times that I travel 1500 within 2weeks, when touring.

  9. #9
    I always change by the milage amount usually around 3000. I live in a nice climate and ride very regularly though.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by nhoelb View Post
    If you don’t travel more that 1500 miles within three months then I guess that is pretty safe. I prefer to base it on specific odometer. There are times that I travel 1500 within 2weeks, when touring.
    I live on a small island so the miles don't accumulate that fast for me since pretty much everything is only an hour away from where I live.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •